Tuesday, November 23, 2010

In the Beginning: My Love Affair with The Weakerthans

My love affair with the Weakerthans started when my dear friend John Carter sent me some mixed CDs of Canadian music.  John Carter is from Nova Scotia but lives in Ottawa.  We have been trading music for about a decade and the boy has made me quite a Canadianphile.

On one of those CDs were 2 Weakerthans songs and I immediately was hooked.  I went out and bought everything they had and played them for everyone who would listen.  

I had some catching up to do.  I had never seen them live and they just did not seem to tour (at least not in the Southern US) for several years.  I thought I had missed the boat and thought I may never get a chance to see them live.




But then after their album "Reunion Tour" came out they started booking US dates again.  This time I was not going to miss it.  So I took time off of work and drove 11 hours up to Cleveland to see them play at the Grogg Shop.  The next day I drove to Pittsburg where I met my former guitarist from The Yum Yum Tree.  He flew in from Atlanta and we saw them at Mr. Smalls Theater.  At their suggestion (from the stage) we even checked out the Permanti Bros crazy sandwiches before we left. 




Mr. Smalls Theather - Pitts


I later traveled to see them In Austin, Texas at (SxSW) and Birmingham, AL before they finally came to my backyard Athens, GA.







So yes, Winnipeg is the furthest I have gone to see any band, but it seems like the logical next step.  Right?  I’ve seen them in 5 states, I might as well add another Country to the list.  I just wish that I was a little more acclimated to -2 weather.... or 15 degree weather even.  Regardless of the chance of frostbite, I am so excited to see them in their home town, playing their entire catalog!  What a perfect way to end the year.


Here I come Winnipeg!



1 comment:

  1. I began reading your blog from the first blog. I chuckled when I saw the date attached to this post.

    It was only -35 a couple days ago. Welcome to Winnipeg. Home to 750,000 Winnipeggers who are "used to it"...

    ReplyDelete