Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Song That Started it All

If anyone asks me why I like the Weakerthans so much I play them the song "Left and Leaving." And then I shut up and let them listen. So, I suggest you stop reading now. Listen. And then read on. There's no need to watch the video of wolves. It's kinda weird. Just listen.



The only way I can explain it is that this song makes me love where I am from. See, I think that is interesting because I know the song was likely written about Winnipeg, but it makes me love Atlanta. There is something about this song that makes me understand the "here and now" and makes me feel like I belong here.

I pretty much think that every line in this song is brilliant, but one of my favorites is:
"Back with the streets I know, will never take me anywhere but here"

I played this song as I drove into Georgia after living in San Francisco for a year and I actually named my cross country travel blog home "Left and Leaving".

I read that John Waters was part of an art symposium in Winnipeg called "My City is Still Breathing," which of course if the first line in this song. So, I suspect someone else agrees with me in the importance of this song.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is an excellent analysis of what the weakerthans represent: sometimes as a Winnipeger it feels a little lame to get caught up in their overt home city sentimentalism, but your point shows an inner core of universal appeal. This is always how I try to explain "one great city" to other Canadians, who are all familiar with the song, but take it literally and then think it's silly. I tell them: this song is not about Winnipeg, it's about YOUR city. They don't get it. You get it. Thank you. Hope you had fun!

    ReplyDelete